What is General Liability Insurance?
General Liability Insurance coverage helps protect your business from property damage claims, bodily injury claims, and/or personal and advertising injury claims that could put your business’s assets at risk. For example, General liability insurance helps protect you and your business in the event of the following:
- A customer slips and injures himself in your store. The injuries result in costly medical bills and maybe even a lawsuit.
- While on the job, you accidentally damage a customer’s property and the repairs are costly. Should a claim like one of these be made against your business, then your commercial general liability insurance policy may help pay for the damages.
What does Commercial General Liability Insurance cover?
General Liability Insurance offers some of the broadest business insurance coverage available today. It is included in our Business Owner’s Policy and is available as stand-alone coverage. Here are a few of the risks a business could face that The Hartford can help protect against:
- Bodily injury or property damage - Helps protect against certain claims alleging financial loss due to property damage or bodily injury arising out of your business operations or products.
- Reputational harm - Helps protect your business against certain claims of false arrest, malicious prosecution, libel, slander, wrongful eviction, violation of the right of privacy and more.
- Advertising errors - Helps protect your business against certain claims if others allege you infringed on their copyrights when advertising goods, products, or services in your advertisement.
- Medical payments - Helps protect against certain claims for medical costs if someone is injured on the business premises and needs medical treatment.
- Damage to premises rented to you - Helps protect your business against certain claims for damage to premises rented to you due to fire, lightning or explosion.
- Extending Your Coverage - If a contract requires a business to add individuals/entities to its business liability insurance coverage, The Hartford helps make it easy to add them to the policy.
- Improve Safety and Reduce Risk - One of the best ways to avoid a lawsuit is to run the safest business possible. The Hartford’s Risk Engineering group is part of our General Liability Insurance policy team and can help with one-on-one risk management consultations and safety seminars. They can also find ways to save companies money with discounts for things like installing safety equipment and following best practices.